‘I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston,’ With Previously Unreleased Songs, Coming March 24
Gaither Music Group, Arista/Legacy Recordings and The Estate of Whitney E. Houston To Release Long Awaited Whitney Gospel Project I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston on March 24
The unmistakable voice of Whitney Houston is powerful and timeless. She is one of the best-selling artists of all time with sales of over 200 million records worldwide and is the only artist to have had seven consecutive number-one singles on the Billboard Hot 100. Whitney reached the pinnacle of pop success, becoming one of the most accomplished recording artists of all time. But her heart was always in gospel music, and it profoundly influenced her life and career. On March 24, 2023, we will get to know a side of Whitney intrinsic to her very soul with the release of I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston.
I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston will be available on CD through Gaither Music Group and on all digital streaming platforms via Arista/Legacy Recordings (in cooperation with The Estate of Whitney E. Houston) and may be pre-ordered now.
The documentary TV special and corresponding album and DVD document Whitney’s gospel journey and feature six never-before-released songs, several from as early as 1981. The 14-track album includes exhilarating versions of cherished gospel evergreens including “Jesus Loves Me” and “His Eye Is on the Sparrow.” The album will also unveil stunning unreleased tracks such as “He Can Use Me,” an awe-inspiring live version of “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” “I Found a Wonderful Way,” and “Testimony” which will be the first single from the project out on February 9, 2023. These recordings invite us into the deep faith behind the voice that continues to uplift and impact countless lives around the world.
The documentary TV special, I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston, will air on multiple TV networks, premiering Friday, March 24, at 8 p.m. ET on both UPtv and AspireTV.
“I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston is a testament of Whitney’s heart,” stated Pat Houston, Executorof the Estate of Whitney E. Houston. “Her love for gospel music permeates through every song with love, compassion and conviction. To love Whitney is to love what she represents to all that love the gospel. I salute this project knowing that Whitney always stood on a solid rock for her love of gospel music. I hope you enjoy this amazing project that was simply a labor of love for all involved.”
The documentary and corresponding DVD, I Go to the Rock: The Gospel Music of Whitney Houston, is a fascinating visual journey into Whitney’s faith and love of gospel music. Hosted by acclaimed, GRAMMY-winning gospel singer CeCe Winans and produced by Barry Jennings, the documentary intimately and comprehensively explores the steadfast faith that accompanied Whitney to stardom. The documentary will take viewers on a journey from her first-ever performance in front of an audience to her many breathtaking appearances performing gospel songs through 1996’s The Preacher’s Wife soundtrack, the best-selling gospel album of all time. Select standouts on this visual treasure include unforgettable performances at the NAACP Image Awards, at the American Music Awards, and at Ebony’s 50th Anniversary TV special.
“It has been an honor to work with the Estate of Whitney E. Houston and Primary Wave Music to create this special recording and documentary,” stated President of Gaither Music Group Paul Sizelove. “The voice and impact of Whitney Houston is incalculable. These collections capture the origin of her singing, celebrate some of her triumphant performances and detail the foundation of gospel music that was a passion and a source of strength for her. We are thrilled to be a part of sharing her inspiring story and gospel music legacy with the world.”
- I Go to the Rock (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- Jesus Loves Me (The Bodyguard Soundtrack)
- He Can Use Me – UNRELEASED TRACK
- Joy to the World (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- Bridge Over Troubled Water (Whitney and CeCe Winans; VH1 Honors) – UNRELEASED TRACK
- Testimony – UNRELEASED TRACK
- I Look to You
- His Eye Is on the Sparrow (Sparkle soundtrack)
- Hold On, Help Is on the Way (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- This Day (VH1 Honors) – UNRELEASED TRACK
- I Found a Wonderful Way – UNRELEASED TRACK
- Joy (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- I Love the Lord (The Preacher’s Wife Soundtrack)
- He/I Believe– UNRELEASED TRACK
Documentary Track Listing:
- I Go to the Rock – Whitney Houston featuring The Georgia Mass Choir, Saturday Night Live, 1996
- Guide Me O Thou, Great Jehovah – Whitney Houston, The Arsenio Hall Show, 1990
- This Day – Whitney Houston, VH1 Honors, 1995
- Jesus Loves Me – Whitney Houston, Live in Santiago, Chile, 1994
- Wonderful Counselor – Whitney, Cissy, & Gary Houston, American Music Awards, 1988
- Hold Up the Light – Whitney Houston and Bebe & Cece Winans, 21st NAACP Image Awards, 1989
- Bridge Over Troubled Water – Whitney Houston and Cece Winans, VH1 Honors, 1995
- I Look to You – Whitney Houston, 2009
- I Love the Lord – Whitney Houston featuring the Georgia Mass Choir, 50th Anniversary of Ebony Magazine TV Special, 1996
- Joy to the World – Whitney Houston featuring the Georgia Mass Choir, 50th Anniversary of Ebony Magazine TV Special, 1996
About Gaither Music Group:
One of the largest independent Christian music companies in the world and a household name for millions of fans, Gaither Music Group, in partnership with Primary Wave Music Publishing, is known worldwide for its award-winning and top-selling recordings, including the Gaither Gospel Series, of which 133 products have been certified gold, platinum or multi-platinum. These recordings, which encompass more than 177 video copyrights, showcase gospel music pioneers; many of the finest performers in the gospel and country genres; up-and-coming acts; and country artists including The Oak Ridge Boys, Jimmy Fortune, Joey+Rory, Alabama, Alan Jackson, Carrie Underwood, Reba McEntire, The Statler Brothers, George Jones, Vince Gill, Josh Turner, Tennessee Ernie Ford, The Isaacs, Brothers of the Heart and others. The brand has partnered with Sandi Patty, Gloria Gaynor, Steven Curtis Chapman and a host of acclaimed talents from various fields of music. Gaither Music Group has garnered sales of more than 40 million DVDs and CDs, including such PBS stalwarts as Billy Graham: God’s Ambassador, the only authorized video autobiography of Reverend Billy Graham; The Gospel Music of Johnny Cash; and three Elvis Presley projects, including He Touched Me and The Gospel Music of Elvis Presley, in conjunction with the Elvis Presley Estate. The company developed a strategic partnership with Cracker Barrel Old Country Store® in 2008; and its alliances with Capitol Christian Music Group, Virgin Music Label & Artist Services, Universal Music Group and Time Life Music remain bedrocks for the company.